Victorian Semi-Detached Circa 1880 Total Refurb
The full refurbishment of the circa 1880 Victorian semi-detached house has now been completed. Each room has been stripped back to basic and then re-wired and re-plumbed throughout.
Below is a short re-cap of the works carried out in each room:
All the old sanitary ware and plumbing were removed. The client opted for a fully tiled bathroom and floating sanitary ware to give a modern look. We also re-designed the layout of the original bathroom so we could add a separate shower cubicle.
The original layout was for 2 bedrooms on the first floor. This had been converted a few years prior by the client to split the larger bedroom into 2 smaller rooms. It was discussed that due to the size and the practicality of the 2 smaller rooms it would be best to transform this back into 1 bedroom.
In the dining room the main window was a bow fronted window which sadly was beyond repair. This was replaced with a large sash window which included new window seals and a fully framed window casement. The client also requested that a recess was built into the existing chimney breast so that a mirror or tv could be hung. As this was quite a large dining room, we also designed a small breakfast bar with added storage for quick dining.
All the old appliances, worktops and cabinets were removed. We also removed a radiator which had been installed above the worktop and the existing chimney breast. We replaced this with a custom steel as this affected the new kitchen layout. To keep the traditional look, we helped the client chose a shaker style kitchen with fully integrated appliances.
The main refurb focal point of the living room is the custom design and built media unit. This media unit allows a sleek way to house any media equipment including tv's and games consoles. Media units are great add for opening up space in smaller rooms as it reduces the need for bulky / additional furniture.
Rear of the property:
A single skin extension and lean to had been attached to the rear of the property. We demolished both of these due to their condition and built a new back wall including a window to overlook the garden.
Existing handrails, base rails, newel posts and spindles were fully replaced with oak. The side stringers of the stairs were cloaked in oak to give the appearance of a full oak staircase.
Utility Room / Cloakroom:
A utility room was designed and installed at the rear of the kitchen which allowed us to house the new boiler and washer / dryer. In the design of the utility room, we also had the space to install a downstairs cloakroom.